Monday 13 April 2015

Experimenting theatre in 15x20 Room.

June 2014 was over. We had screened 2 documentary films on environment-‘ God on the Edge’ of Ashok Patel and another film in Marathi by Nivedita Kothare- Utsavachi That -Paryavarnachi Vaat"(Festivals caused disaster to Environment.) Before that we had shown a song "Gaon chhodab nahi...." (We will not let our land, our village, our soil....) followed by a very lively discussion. 

What next? It always comes to my mind, not after finishing the program, but much before that. Many friends said that this time, some exclusive should be on theatre only. They all were from theatre. They promised that they will come with their performances.  

Rakesh Chaturvedi from NSD had joined Room Theatre from the beginning. We talked each other and discussed about the possibilities of the program. Finally, we had decided to organise July 2014 program on theatre only.  He said that he will bring an excerpt from "Bade Bhaisaab" a story of legendary writer Munshi Premchand. 

I started contacting people from theatre. Sarita Hussain, Nivedita Baunthial, Madhuri Bhatia, Chitra Jetily, Bhaskar Jha, Virat Kalodbhav Team and very important- Dr Nivedita Sarkar. Nivedita is a professor of Hindi. She is a good teacher of literature, but she has not any theatre background. She was attending all programs. She is my MA days friend, with whom I get connected through FB. Thanks to Facbook. 

Nivedita said that she also want to perform. I okeyed and asked her to bring the piece on which she wants to perform. It is my training design. It is a trial to check the person, whether she/he is really interested.   

Nivedita brought the poem, “Main neer bhari dukh ki badly” written by the great Chhayavadi poet Mahadevi Varma. When she recited, I just understood that I will have to work very hard on her. Whether she is ready? I was very happy to see her zeal. Gradually, she started picking up. I was in a very bad shape, but still, I used to call her almost every day for rehearsal, so that she can perform on the day.

Finally, day came and she was with her very first performance. Link is here. You may see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh4f6YxDl2E Main Neer Bhari Dukh ki Badli
From March to June, programs were held in as it is condition of our so called drawing room. But, now this is theatre. I was thinking, performers and audience must get a feel of theatre. I brought out all black cloth, which is used for masking purpose during the stage design for any show. I covered my Hall’s window with the black cloth. And really, some miracle happened. The hall was giveng such a wonderful look of theatre!
As there is one of the objectives to get interacted with the veterans of their respective fields, it was thought to invite dignitaries from theatre. Nivedita Baunthial suggested Lalit Parimoo name. She talked to him and very kindly, he gave his consent to attend the program. I recalled, I had written a film “Jayshankar Prasad” for Films Division, where he played the role of Manu from Kamayani. I invited Dr. Ramesh Rajhans, Sri RS Vikal and Shri Bhalchandra Jha. It was a good day for me. All have been contacted and all had given their consent.
People started coming and within no time hall was packed with double of its capacity of 25-30 people. Stage portion was also got covered by the audience. But, neither artists had bothered nor audience. They were experimenting theatre.
Nivedita Baunthial insisted me to perform. I had no courage to perform. My husband Ajay also had requested to leave me. But Nivedita forced a lot. Finally, I performed a piece from my solo “Bimb-Pratibimb”. In fact, I wanted to perform, but have no courage to express my wish. Nivedita request had come to rescue me.
That day right from “Ashadh ka Ek Din” of Mohan Rakesh to “Main Neer Bhari Dukh ki Badli”, of Mahadevi Varma, Premchand’s Bade Bhai Saab to Andha Yug of Dr. Dharmveer Bharti. Play was started with the show of a young theatre presenter Bhaskar Jha. Noted film, TV, Theatre actor Madhuri Bhatia performed on her own script.

 Discussion started. Dr Ramesh Rajhans, Lalit Parimoo ji, Vikal Ji, Bhal handra ji- they all spoke. They all were happy, mesmerized to see that how a 15x20 hall had created an atmosphere for Room Theatre. It is an unforgettable memory. An overwhelming response. Thanks to theatre enthusiast! Love you!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment